I've never been big on New Year's Resolutions, but I'm a big goal setter. In looking back at 2016 (a frankly dismal year for so many people that I know), I took some time to look back over my goals from the beginning of the year. My little soapy business has come so far, and I don't mind telling you all that I am so incredibly proud of all that has been accomplished (with so much help and encouragement from friends, family, and community).
Here's what we were up to in 2016:
- We participated in four different farmers markets last summer. That was a huge jump from just one in 2015 (my perpetual favorite, the Des Moines Waterfront Farmers Market).
- We made new wholesale partners along the west coast. Our soaps are now available in shops in Oregon, Washington, and California!
- We opened a brick and mortar storefront. Coming from a family of small business owners, this move feels natural to me. I'm so proud that 2016 was
the year that I got to cross this goal off of my bucket list!
- We hired some incredibly talented people who share our vision. Coaching and services from Nannette Minley and shop and event help from Desiree (my right hand) has made all the difference in the world!
While I'm not into the New Year's resolutions, I do have some projects in the works that I hope to roll out in 2017.
Here's what you can look forward to in the new year from Emily's Handmade Soaps.
- Liquid soap! We're working on rolling out a liquid bath gel that's made with the same high quality, natural ingredients that you've come to expect from our soaps and bath goodies.
- Subscription service! Be on the lookout for an option to have Emily's Handmade Soaps delivered to you monthly so you'll never be down to soap slivers again.
On a more personal note, I'm recognizing that with all of the hard work that I put in last year, I neglected taking care of myself more often than I should have. I'll bet that more than a few of you did the exact same thing. One of my personal goals for 2017 is to be more consistent about taking care of myself.
Self care is a priority and a necessity, not a luxury. In fact, I put together an entire collection of little bath luxuries that can be used during those sacred moments of alone time. You can find my collection, You're Amazing. Treat Yourself Like It. here.
Another goal of mine in 2017 is to surround myself with people who inspire me. I'm off to a great start with weekly networking meetings with two friends who keep me accountable to my goals (and keep me sane in the interim - thank you Jayna and Jessica!). Hearing about their accomplishments and progress is incredibly inspiring.
What are your goals for the new year and beyond? How are you planning on taking care of yourself in 2017? Let me know in the comments!